Another PSA by the Deaf Hope team – a very creative and well-done message! The only feedback we have is that we wish the opening line did not minimize Deaf identity, which is not even relevant to the PSA message. Deaf women who identify themselves as Deaf first share the same concerns as the actress, who says she identifies herself as a woman first, not Deaf. Hearing women share the same concerns as well. It does not make much sense to us to frame it as a choice between identifying first as Deaf or as a woman. Other than, this we love the video and hope the message on rape culture sinks in.
ASC ON THE COUCH
A vlogger, Kim, shares her experience helping a friend in a domestic violence relationship find support. We have to work hard to remove stigmas related to counseling and domestic violence.
Deaf Abused Women’s Network (DAWN)
Job Description: Advocate Coordinator
Please submit resume and cover letter to Sasha L. Ponappa, Executive Director at : firstname.lastname@example.org by June 15th, 2011.
POSITION: Advocate Coordinator, full-time 40 hours per week; and be on call as an advocate during emergencies including some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
LOCATION: Washington, DC metropolitan area
SALARY: $40,000 per year with benefits
A. Essential Responsibilities
1. Provide direct services, emergency assistance and crisis intervention to survivors of Domestic Violence and Sexual Violence as necessary, including participation on rotation schedule for the Network Advocate Program, DAWN’s 24/7 pager-based hotline program.
2. Administer and supervise the Network Advocate Program, including: direct supervision and support on an on-going basis for all DAWN advocates and volunteers.
3. Serves as liaison between administration and volunteers.
4. Responsible for interviewing and hiring procedures of all volunteers and advocates.
5. Ensure that all volunteer records and survivor records are maintained in a confidential and secured matter.
B. Community Relations
1. Establish and maintain collaborative alliances with appropriate community services, agencies and programs.
2. Conduct education and preventive programs as needed, to local deaf and hearing organizations, police departments, hospitals, court systems and professionals
3. Coordinates student and community volunteer services program in organizations engaged in public, social, and welfare activities.
4. Conduct outreach to community through event planning, presentations, booths, flyers, brochures, and social medias such as: Facebook, Twitter and DAWN’s website
C. Program Planning
1. Assure compliance with, and implementation of, all organization’s external and internal regulations and policies.
2. Prepare, maintain and monitor quality assurance for the programs under this position.
3. In conjunction with staff and Executive Director, develop short-term program plans and procedures.
4. Participate in program-based budget planning meetings with Executive Director when warranted.
• Available to work immediately
• Ability to provide culturally sensitive and empowerment-based advocacy services to survivors; and to able to effectively engage with diverse individuals
• Complete DAWN’s 50-hour deaf-based Domestic Violence and Sexual Violence training
• Fluent in American Sign Language and excellent written communication skills
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or 5 years of professional experience working with deaf and hard of hearing individuals in outreach and social services
Gallaudet University Library Book Review: An excellent review of the book, “The End of Overeating” by a Deaf librarian, Jim. Learn about how certain foods trigger emotions/addictive overeating and how to end emotional eating.